Other Health Licences and Registrations

A licence or registration is required for the following activities:


Amusement device registration

Operating amusement devices like ferris wheels, roller coasters, or other similar mechanical amusement rides requires registration with the Council according to Occupational Safety & Health (OSH) and the Amusement Devices Regulations 1978.


Amusement Device Registration Form

Beauty Therapists registration
Providing commercial services like beauty therapy, nail augmentation, skin piercing and tattooing carries health and hygiene risks for customers.  South Wairarapa District Council has adopted a new health and hygiene bylaw and code of practice to ensure that these services and the premises where they are provided are not potentially harmful for the health of our community. This bylaw requires that premises are registered.

Beauty Therapists registration form 

Campground registration

Operating a camping ground requires registration to ensure that it complies with all of the camping ground regulations. Please contact the Environmental Health department or ring 06 306 9611 to discuss your proposal before you lodge a registration application.


Campground Registration Form  

Hairdressing registration

Before you can open your hairdressing business to the public you will need to apply for a certificate of registration. It is an offence to operate a hairdresser without a certificate.


First, be sure to contact the Planning department and the Building department at Council. You might need a resource consent to operate at a particular property or to sort out customer parking issues, and you might need building consents to add basins and counters to your premise.


Getting registered

After you have sorted out your resource and building consents you can apply for registration.  At least 14 days before you want to open, complete the hairdresser’s registration application and attach a to-scale floor plan showing all appliances and fittings.  You can reuse the plans submitted as part of a building consent application if you had to do one of those.

Hairdresser’s Registration Form

After your registration is approved, contact the Environmental Health department or ring 06 306 9611 for an inspection to confirm that all work has been completed in accordance with the approved plans. Be sure to have any code compliance certificates available for the EHO to see. Environmental Health Officers (EHO) will make regular checks after you are open for business to ensure you comply with the health standards.


Renewing your registration

Your must renew your registration every year for the period 1 Aug to 31 July.  If you are currently registered we will automatically send you a renewal application.


Change of ownership

If you purchase an existing hairdressing premise you have 14 days to transfer the registration into your name using the following application: 


Transfer of Ownership Form

Hawking licences

Hawking is governed by Council’s Trading in Public Places Bylaw and requires a licence. If you would like to set up a stall to sell things in public places please complete the Hawkers Licence form, two weeks before you intend to set up.  Email Council’s Environmental Health department or ring 06 306 9611 for more information.

Application Guidelines
Hawkers Licence Form

Offensive trades

Trades like septic tank cleaning, refuse collection, collection and storage of used bottles for sale require registration under the Health Act 1956.

Offensive Trade Registration Form

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support