Where do I have to show a Vaccine Pass? Common FAQs

Under the new Covid-19 ‘Traffic Light’ framework, Vaccine Passes are required at some council venues. This is to allow us to remain open and provide ongoing service at these venues. It helps protect you, the public, and our staff. 

We realise the system may be confusing for some – decisions have been made on a risk assessment basis. The answers below apply under the “Orange” level of the new traffic light system.  

Where do I need to show a Vaccine Pass in South Wairarapa? 

South Wairarapa Council has deemed all its libraries and swimming pools require a valid Vaccine Pass for staff and visitors alike. This is consistent with the other Wairarapa councils, apart from Masterton’s library. 

As from 3 December 2021, all South Wairarapa pools and libraries at Greytown, Featherston and Martinborough will have staff posted to check the Vaccine Pass for anyone 12 years 3 months or older before being allowed entry.

Why have you enforced Vaccine Passes at libraries and pools?  

Our facilities are work places and we have an obligation, that we take seriously, to protect our staff from harm. We also wish to protect residents and visitors. By complying with the Government’s guidelines, we are doing just that.  

I am unvaccinated and don’t plan to be vaccinated. What will happen if I wish to use the library or pool? 

Our staff have been instructed to refuse entry to anyone who does not have either a paper based pass or a phone app that shows their Vaccine Pass. We hope the public respects this decision to comply with the Government’s decision. If anyone wishes to find out how to get a Vaccine Pass please visit the Covid-19 website.  

If I’m unvaccinated and can’t access Council-owned facilities, will I get a rates rebate? 

No. If someone chooses not to use Council facilities, that is not a valid basis for a rates rebate. While ideally your vaccination status would not make a difference to your rights as a ratepayer, a virus respects no person and we must think about the safety of others and our staff. No one anticipated Covid and our costs remain the same, if not more. The traffic light system is Government-imposed and our Council is aligned to many other local authorities in our actions. 

Can I go to the pool? 

We would love you to go to our three pools! But if you are 12 years 3 months or over, you will need a Vaccine Pass. This is to keep everyone safe – even our lifeguards are vaccinated. Children can’t get a Pass at present but at our pools, those under 8 must have adult supervision. So that adult (someone aged over 16 years) must have a Vaccine Pass. At present, children between 8 and 12 do not require supervision or a pass. 

Can I go to the park or use playground equipment? 

Yes. This is up to your personal responsibility and it is outdoors, which minimizes risk. 

Can I use public toilets? 

Yes, unless they are in the Waihinga Centre or Greytown Town Centre, then you must have a Vaccine Pass. 

Can I use the library? 

There are no restrictions if you are under 12 years and 3 months. Those older must show a Vaccine Pass. Our library staff move between our district’s three libraries and Carterton library. Carterton and Martinborough libraries are connected to events centres, which we have decided will require a Vaccine Pass to access (children under 12 as yet don’t have that option). Although our other two libraries are stand-alone, the staff travel means cross-contamination could occur if all venues do not have the same rules. 

Can I go to town halls or events centres? 

You will need a Vaccine Pass if you’re 12 years 3 months or over to access the Waihinga Centre in Martinborough or Greytown Town Hall. Admission to other venues such as Anzac and Kiwi halls in Featherston are subject to the hirer’s wishes, as long as events comply with social gathering rules. 

Can I come to the Council offices? 

You do not need to have a Vaccine Pass in the public area of our Martinborough offices. We will ask you to scan and wear a mask though, as is the case currently. 

Can I use the council campgrounds? 

Like parks, our freedom campgrounds are outside and therefore, lower risk, so no vaccine pass is needed, although we will ask you to scan in. However, Council-owned grounds at Lake Ferry, Greytown and Martinborough are leased out, and a decision on passes is up to the lessees. We understand that Department of Conservation huts and campgrounds are requiring Vaccine Passes for 12 and overs. 

Are there any other Council facilities where I do not have to show a Vaccine Pass? 

Yes. Our cemeteries, refuse transfer stations and recreation trails do not require a pass but the need for mask use and social distancing remains. 

Will Council meetings be held in public again? 

The intention is to do so. However, meetings through to Christmas will continue to be via Zoom. 

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support