Roads and footpaths

We maintain approximately 653km of local roads, 389km of which are sealed and the remaining 264km unsealed.

Most of the roads in the South Wairarapa District are managed by us; however State Highway 2 and State Highway 53 are managed by the New Zealand Transport Agency.

If you are planning road works or any kind of traffic or road-related activity that affects public roads, talk to us about what permissions you may need first. You will need to contact the Council if you want things like:

  • Driveways designed to access our roads
  • Road closures for events
  • Excavation works
  • New roads or rights of ways to be built to the New Zealand standards.

Email us with your request and we can help you start the process.

Road Procurement Strategy

Road Procurement Strategy 2022

Waka Kotahi Endorsement Letter

How do I make a Corridor Access Request (Excavation)?

Any excavation or physical works planned in the road reserve (the transport corridor) will require pre-approval from the South Wairarapa District Council before work commences.

  • Excavate for Utility repairs or installation.
  • Temporarily close a road to traffic for an event.
  • Create a new driveway

Before U Dig can lodge automatically your Corridor Access Requests while you submit your enquiries. Learn more on how to lodge a corridor access request.

Your application can be started by making a Corridor Access Request at or by contacting BeforeUdig on 0800 248 344.

Note: Council requires a minimum of 5 working days’ notice for applications to be processed.

How do I apply for a Corridor Access Requests (Non – Excavation)?

There are times when planned work warrants notifying the Council for activities that will occur in the Road Corridor that are not excavations and may require certain sections of the road corridor to be reserved to ensure the activities are carried out in a safe manner.

These events may also create interference to residents or perhaps other contractors carrying out works in the vicinity such as concerts, building maintenance, cycling events, exhibitions, festivals, fireworks, parades and sporting events.

Your application for permission can be started by making a request on the following website:

Note: Council requires a minimum of 5 working days’ notice for applications to be processed.

What are the safety regulations when working on our roads and footpaths?

Council requires all work in the road corridor to comply with the following national code of practices:

  • The approved National Code of Practice for Utility Operators’ Access to Transport Corridors (The National Code).

The Code can be downloaded from the NZUAG website

  • The New Zealand Transport Agency’s ‘Code of practice for temporary traffic management (COPTTM)’

This is the standard reference for all temporary traffic management on state highways and local roads. It includes levels of temporary traffic management, signs and forms used, and a series of sample traffic management plans.

Transit NZ guidelines for safe work practices on and around roads


In 2019, following feedback from the community during the Annual Plan consultation process, an additional $375K was allocated to increase footpath maintenance in all three towns.

Details of the maintenance scheduled and completed (as at 20 April 2020) in each of the three towns is available below:

Featherston – 2019/20 urban footpath maintenance

Greytown – 2019/20 urban footpath maintenance

Martinborough – 2019/20 urban footpath maintenance

Construction of residential vehicle crossings

Drawing specification

Procedures guideline for residents installing their own residential vehicle crossing

Vehicle crossing application form

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support