Resource Consent

Resource Consent Search

What is resource consent?

Some activities and buildings and all subdivisions must be assessed against the Council’s District Plan. A resource consent is a permit to carry out an activity that would otherwise contravene a rule in the Council’s District Plan. The Wairarapa Combined District Plan applies to all three Wairarapa district councils and contains rules about activities like building setbacks, subdivision, or running a business from home. Anything not permitted by the District Plan requires a resource consent. Sometimes you will need a resource consent as well as a building consent.

The District Plan text now incorporates a number of Plan changes and should be read in conjunction with the maps.

Examples of things that may require resource consent are:

  • Subdividing a property
  • Building or extending a house close to a boundary
  • Starting a business in a Residential or Rural area
  • Relocating a dwelling
  • Hosting a multi-day event

Unsure if your project will require resource consent? We are happy to discuss your proposal and work with you to figure out whether you’ll need resource consent. Contact the Planning department, ring 06 306 9611 to set up an appointment, or alternatively Book an Appointment online.

Events: Events can involve any or all of Council’s licenses and consents.  Please consult our Event Management page to see which ones will apply to you, or ring 06 306 9611.

How do I apply for resource consent?

Contact the Planning department to find out if your plans will require resource consent. If you are planning an event, start with our Event Management page.  If you do need resource consent then you or your agent (builder, architect, planning consultant or similar) must complete a resource consent application form (download or type directly on forms).

Resource consents take no longer than 20 working days to process unless the application needs to be limited or publicly notified, then it could take longer.  To ensure your resource consent process runs smoothly, you may want to engage a planning professional who understands the requirements and jargon that can sometimes be found in the resource management process.

Submission Form

If you would like to make a submission on a publicly notified resource consent application, you can use our Submission Form (you may be able to type directly on the form), or send an email to that addresses the sections outlined in the submission form.

What are the Fees?

There is a fee to apply for a resource consent, and if your consent is granted there can be fees attached to the consent itself. Please look at the Guide to Resource Consent Fees for more information, or contact the Planning department.

Can I book an appointment with the Planning Team?

Yes, please use the form on the Book an Appointment page.

Useful Links

Ministry for the Environment – applying for a resource consent

New Zealand Planning Institute – The New Zealand Planning Institute (NZPI) is the professional organisation representing planners, resource managers, urban designers, and environmental practitioners throughout New Zealand.

To find Professionals in Planning, Design & the Environment visit NZPI’s online directory at

Have a look at the South Wairarapa Heritage Design Guides for each town:

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support