Running a public event

If you want to hold a large or multi-day event there are a few things that you need to organise to help make sure it is enjoyable for visitors and residents.

Below is a list of things that you should work with Council officers on before you finalise the plans for your event, and the Event Application Form you will need to complete:

Food registration and alcohol licences

At your event will you or any vendors:

  • Prepare food on location
  • Sell food
  • Sell alcohol

Email or ring 06 306 9611 at least 20 working days before the event for licensing and registration requirements. If you know the licences you need, visit our Health Licenses and Registration page.

Responsible Hosting

If you’re hosting a party or celebration there are lots of things you can to do help everyone have a great time without drinking too much. What About You has tips and advice for being a top host and free resources you can use at your event to promote responsible drinking.


Will your event need to:

  • Manage traffic and pedestrians
  • Temporarily close a road

Please provide a traffic management plan to the Roading department or ring 06 306 9611 to discuss your traffic issues. If you need to close a road you will need to make an application at least two months before the event.

Building consent

At your event will you or any vendors have:

  • Tents or marquees over 100m2 being used for less than one month
  • Tents or marquees under 100m2 being used for longer than one month
  • Platforms or staging over 1.5m high
  • Portable buildings

Email the Building department or ring 06 306 9611 for building consent application information. Please note a building consent takes up to 20 working days and cannot be processed unless all relevant information is provided. If you know the building consent form you need, visit our Building consents page.

Waste management

A new bylaw passed on 25 January 2022 aims to help events to manage and minimise solid waste which would otherwise go to landfill. Waste management and minimisation plans will be a requirement for events with 1000 people from one year after the bylaw came into effect. For smaller events, a plan is still good practice. See the Event Waste Management Plan Guide for more details.

Resource consent

Does your event need to:

  • Operate outside the hours of 7am and 10pm
  • Run for more than five days (separate or consecutive) in any six-month period
  • Use amplifiers or sound systems
  • Have extra lighting
  • Have signs on other sites

These and other things trigger the need for resource consent. Email the Planning department or ring 06 306 9611 to see if your proposal will need resource consent. Please note a notified resource consent (if required) can take three months or more so contact us as early as possible.  If you know you’ll need resource consent, download the Resource Consent Application Form and get started after talking to the Planning department.

Campground registration

At your event, if you are planning to have temporary accommodation overnight for the public or staff you may require a campground licence. Email to visit our health licences and registration page or ring 06 306 9611 at least 20 working days before the event for registration requirements.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support